12/10/07 (Monday): We've been busy having fun. I hope you vicariously enjoy some of our little adventures of the past week.

First, I have to show you that we're enjoying the Christmas season. Here's our casa all decked out. We have a 4-foot tree, a stuffed reindeer on the door (he sings "Felice Navidad") and twinkle lights on our canopy. Tonight we even had a fire in our fireplace. We cooked some fish over the coals.



Of course, we're pretty well decorated in the daytime, too (deer, hummingbirds and acorn woodpeckers are very colorful).












A few days ago, we visited Ojai. It's a cool little historic town in the mountains just north of us.

This is Ojai Elementary School, and the tower is the Post Office--fancy, huh?












Yesterday was Piru's Christmas parade. We had a great time! There was quite a crowd, and the whole thing was very well done. There were horses, a band, several floats, decorated cars and Santa on a fire engine.






We also visited a woodworker's shop in the Piru Train Station that I'd been wanting to check out. The owner spoke with us for quite a while. He's lived in Piru his whole life and was very familiar with the history of the area. He does beautiful work.
















Our final adventure this week was a hike to the head of Piru Canyon, where Piru Creek flows into Lake Piru. It's about 5 or 6 miles, round trip. We could understand why we don't get a cell phone or TV signal--we're surrounded by some pretty tall mountains!

Great fun--wish you were here!

6 comments:

Julie said...

What a beautiful school building in Ojai. I like your festively decorated camper, too. That campfire makes me wish I were sitting in one of those chairs. Merry Christmas to you both.

I had to save a copy of the woodpecker photo -- a lovely shot.

The lake photo looks so desolate, quiet and a bit eerie. Where is the greenery? Grass? Bushes? There seems to be so much barenness in some of your photos from that area. It surprises me.

Joyce and Wiley said...

I think my brother-in-law probably went to that school. He grew up in Ojai. I wish you were here to enjoy a campfire, too.

The woodpecker was photographed right out of my window! The acorn woodpeckers are kind of interesting. They jam acorns into the holes the drill in trees.

We were surprised by the dry, barren hills everywhere, too. There's almost no vegetation on the hills/mountains. What vegetation there is is mostly yuccas and other succulents. Even the creeks are all dried up. They tell me that in a couple of weeks when (if) the rains start, everything will green up and lots of wild flowers will start blooming. Of course, some of the desolation is a result of the fires. They covered an incredible amount of territory here.

Joyce and Wiley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

O.K. Time to take another trip. I keep checking back here and before you know it, I'll be seeing things that you can't find! I was looking at that carved horse -- it is quite detailed. The guy is quite good.

Joyce and Wiley said...

I have more to blog about, but I've been busy making Christmas candy as gifts for my co-workers and working extra to make up for the days we're taking off over Christmas.

The woodcarving place was spectacular. There were merry-go-round horses everywhere. He sells them for $10,000 and up! Everywhere you looked there were more carvings of every kind. We'll take you there when you visit!

Joyce and Wiley said...

I have more to blog about, but I've been busy making Christmas candy as gifts for my co-workers and working extra to make up for the days we're taking off over Christmas.

The woodcarving place was spectacular. There were merry-go-round horses everywhere. He sells them for $10,000 and up! Everywhere you looked there were more carvings of every kind. We'll take you there when you visit!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!