3/13/07 (Tuesday): I hope everyone hasn't given up on me! We've been very busy with listing our house for sale, helping Wiley's parents clean out their garage (so that we can store some of our stuff there), and in general winding down our stay in Florida and getting ready for our trip to Michigan. I can't believe we leave in two weeks!

I've also been busy preparing a presentation for our FL Trail Association meeting last Thursday. It should have been quite easy, but I kept losing the pictures and had to re-do it 3 times! As soon as I figure out how to do it, I'm going to try putting a link to it here.

Last weekend we had a visit from Fran and Richard, who were fellow workampers with us in Maine. They brought their huge motor home and parked it here. We had a great visit, the highlight of which was our visit to Bok Tower. Bok Tower is in Lake Wales, about 10 miles from here. It was built by Edward Bok, the editor of the Ladies Home Journal. In addition to the beautiful tower with its carillon bells, it has beautiful gardens and is a bird sanctuary. We were fortunate enough to visit during a fesitval and heard several concerts. That's Fran and Richard in front of the gates.


The gardens were just gorgeous.









There were fountains and gazebos and winding paths. We had beautiful weather, too.








We especially enjoyed a little room on a pond. The back wall was all glass. The birds (like this cardinal) and animals couldn't see us but we could see them quite well.




These nun's orchids were breathtaking.











They had ranunculus in many different colors. This yellow one looks so sunny and bright.







This swan looks very peaceful and lovely, but you should have seen it go after Richard's shoes! Vicious!!







Today, a co-worker took me and another volunteer to a preserve near here to see baby great horned owls. We found the nest, but the babies must have been asleep. We couldn't see them. Wiley and I will go back and check them out at sunset when they should be active. While we were walking in the preserve, we saw this moth on the ground. I've never seen anything like it! It looks like a piece of Native American pottery! I'm going to try to get it identified.

Tomorrow I'm monitoring scrub jays (probably for the last time). We're done peanut training them and will now attempt to band them before the nesting season begins. I'm going to miss them!

Our eagle families are growing up. They're about ready to fledge (fly away). I hope I'm still here to see that.

Tomorrow we leave right after work. I'm taking Wiley Sr. and Mag to Mayo Clinic for Wiley's annual check-up. Then we're going to meet Julie and John for lunch on Friday. The weekend will be devoted to emptying our attic and moving our stuff into the newly cleaned garage.

We're expecting delivery of our RV on 3/23. We'll transfer our belongings from the Prowler to the new RV on the lot and then come back here until 3/31, which is our last day. We've got our route to Michigan planned.

I hope everyone has a great week, and I'll blog again soon!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Joyce, you haven't lost your gift for taking good photos. You're right -- that nun's orchid shot is breathtakingly beautiful. What did Wiley do with all his orchids when you became workampers? Is that how you know the name of the orchid? From Wiley?

On the first shot of Bok Tower, that multi-colored stone decorating the tower -- that can't be marble, can it? In the swan shot, are those goldfish or leaves in the water around the swan? The butterfly also is very interesting. I never saw any like it.

Boy, I can't wait till we are "traveling" with you again on a daily basis. Once I got used to signing on every day, it became just like reading the newspaper every day. We'll see you Friday.

Julie said...

I knew I forgot one other thing. On the yellow flower photo (I know, you gave us some fancy name for it!), it looks like there is a brown moth/butterfly in the upper left-hand corner?? Also, what about directly above the flower near the top of the picture -- if you look closely, the brown (probably leaf) "thing" looks like something from outer space with two dark eyes and a large nose. Yeah, I know. I've totally lost it!

Joyce and Wiley said...

Wiley gave his orchids to his mom and sister (and sold some). Those are tiles on the top of the tower, and the remainder is pink granite. I think those are just leaves around the swan, but there were some big orange carps, too. I don't know if I'll be able to do a daily blog when we're traveling (or even once we get there). It depends on what kind of internet connection we get. Only you would notice so many details around the yellow ranunculus! I think they're just dead leaves.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!