5/12/08 (Monday): Belated Mother's Day greetings to all the Moms I know! We had a cold, stormy Mother's Day here in Boone. It started with some pea-sized hail. Then we had lots of rain and high winds. There was no damage, but most of us here in the campground didn't sleep. The winds were 40 mph with gusts up to 60 mph. This morning there are lots of branches down and it's still cool (high of 61 today) and breezy. It feels more like autumn than spring!

We went to New River State Park earlier this week. The New River is badly mis-named, because it's believed to be one of the oldest rivers in the world. We took back roads to get to the park, and it was a gorgeous drive. The rugged hillsides are dotted with old farms and vivid green meadows dotted with wildflowers. The river is shallow and looks perfect for canoing when the weather warms up a little.


The mountain laurel on the trail down to the river was in bloom. There seem to be several shades of pink and orange. They look a lot like wild azaleas.

It was a gorgeous day for a hike--cool and sunny. Looking up was like being in a cathedral with the rays of the sun filtering through the tall trees.

Our work "week" is Thursday through Sunday. This Saturday we had an ice cream social, scavenger hunt and blue grass music. I

I had fun making up the clues for the scavenger hunt and serving ice cream while listening to the live music. That's Joan (pronounced like Jo Ann) getting ready to have an ice cream cone.

We're having a visit from my cousin Donna and her husband Dave next week. I've got to get busy and plan some adventures with them! Then, in late June, I'm going to fly to Orlando and drive Mag and Wiley and Katelyn here for two weeks. We're looking forward to both visits and hope maybe some other friends will come to check out this beautful area. Y'all come!

6 comments:

Joyce and Wiley said...

This is a P.S. to the blog. I was just going through some previous blog comments and saw that Troy asked what kind of car it was that we rented in California. It was Toyota Prius hybrid car. It was very peppy and quite roomy and it got 45 miles per gallon! Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier, Troy.

Anonymous said...

How many more superlative complements can we heap on your most excellent works of photography and bloggery!! You are indeed fortunate in living such a way but we are fortunate in having your reports to enjoy. Troy

Anonymous said...

I didn't see any mention of Wiley Senior coming up there until after Wiley Jr. caught that fine trout. I appreciate the feeling. I feel like whipping out my old fly rod after such an alluring picture my own self. Troy

Anonymous said...

Hi folks,
We think the area you are in is just beautiful. We love the old farms and countryside. We had the same Mother's Day weather that you did, cold, windy and wet.
Carol & Gary

Julie said...

The first thing we noticed is the very erect Wiley standing by the stream -- what a beautiful, scenic shot. Wiley, you look great!

I think that old farm would make a good retirement place for when you two no longer want to travel. Well, maybe the house is a bit run down but look at the surrounding area - so beautiful. Is that another building behind those trees or an outhouse on the left? I couldn't quite tell what it was.

You know how I felt when I saw that beautiful shot of the mountain laurel -- oooohhhhh, so lovely. And, John and I want to know what flavor is the ice cream you're dipping?

Joyce and Wiley said...

Hi Julie! Glad to see you back on the blog. That was only one of many old farm houses. I'd love to live on a farm for a while. I think it looks so peaceful! I'm not sure what the building behind it is--just an outbuilding of some sort.

I think I've misled my readers--what I was calling mountain laurel is actually wild azalea. The mountain laurel and rhododendron are not going to bloom for a little while yet.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!