5/15/08 (Thursday): I haven't downloaded any new pictures yet, so I thought I'd post some from previous adventures that I haven't shown you yet. I take so many pictures everywhere we go that you probably haven't seen even half of them. So sit back, relax, and enjoy some of the gorgeous scenery that we've been seeing every day (it's impossible to take a bad picture here!).

The little town of Todd is only about 5 miles from here. One of our workers, Lynne, lives there. I fell in love with this town. It's got a gorgeous creek, lots of beautiful old houses and barns, and two unique stores.

Todd General Store and Todd Mercantile both have this shiny metal siding on them (I don't know if it's tin or aluminum or what, but it's really unusual).

There are a few new, upscale houses in Todd, but mostly it's a very real, down home kind of a place, and one of my favorite places around here.

Wiley tried (unsuccessfully) fishing from this one-lane bridge.

So, we drove on to Valle Crucis. It's a little bigger and has more tourist traffic, but still a neat place.

The Mast General store in Valle Crucis is the original one. There are a couple others, including one in Boone. They sell all kinds of neat things, ranging from shoes to penny candy. The bluegrass group that played at our campground last Saturday plays here regularly.

We're looking forward to a visit from my cousins, Donna and Dave, this weekend. Mag and Wiley are coming later this month, and if Julie can get her back in shape, she and John may visit this summer. We're having a blast and can't wait to show off our new home!

By the way, you'll note that I've put a link to my friend, Lynne's, website on my blog. If I do it right, it'll appear on all my blogs up there near the counter. When you get to the site, click on print room to see the landscapes of Boone. They're very special. Check it out--she's a wonderful photographer who captures the beauty of this area magnificently. Her work appears on calendars and other local publications. If you'd like to buy any of her photos, they're very reasonably priced and would make great gifts.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Joyce, only if I were riding along with you would I have stopped at that rather run-down looking store. Was there really a bakery inside (per the sign)? The creek (or as some of us used to say - crick) photo was lovely. I'm surprised that the trees aren't any greener though. By the way, we just received a water alert warning that we should boil our water until the tests come back that the water is O.K. Several communities received similar warnings.

Joyce and Wiley said...

There was a wonderful bakery inside the store. We had orange scones and fresh coffee--yum! It's still quite cold here, but greening up very fast (except at the higher elevations). We've had quite a bit of rain, although the news says we're still down for the month. May is apparently the wettest month here.

What happened to the water system to causes the boil water alert?

Joyce and Wiley said...

The New River in this part of the world is very quiet--a popular spot for tubing, kayaking and canoing. I think it's the same New River that runs through Virginia, though. We're looking forward to renting (or borrowing) some kayaks and giving it a try ourselves when it warms up here. We're still having very chilly nights and the daytime temps are only in the 70's, so I think we'll wait until mid-summer to try it.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!