8/10/08 (Sunday): I'm back (and pretty much over my jet lag)! I had a great time visiting Mark, Heather, Hudson and Austin in California--thanks guys!

I always take a little "surprise" for my grands when I visit. This time, I brought a device that allows you to blow truly monstrous bubbles. We all had a great time playing with this thing. We went through 2 bottles of Dawn dishwashing liquid and most of a bottle of glycerine. Great fun!

The other thing I brought was face painting crayons. They were also put to good use right away. The boys are very creative--they didn't even practice before I shot this video!

I know some of you with older computers have trouble when I put two videos in a blog, but I couldn't resist letting everyone hear how well Austin (age 8) is doing with his guitar lessons.


Aren't they great kids?!

Austin (in the aqua speedo).

Hudson

Austin and Hudson are both on the swim team, and I was privileged to sit in on a practice. They're both good swimmers. In fact, Hudson's team is going to the county competition.

The other momentous event of the day was the removal of Hudson's braces. He was handsome with them, and he's stunning without them!


We also visited a local lake where the boys enjoyed swimming and playing around and Mark and I sat and soaked up some sun.

We also managed to fit in an overnight camping trip at Big Basin Redwoods State Park (click on link for information about this gorgeous park). What a treat!

We set up two tents--a small one for Mark and Hudson and a bigger one for me, Heather and Austin. It's been a long time since I slept on a thin camping mat, and I didn't get much sleep, but that was the only down side of the trip. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous--big redwoods, creeks, waterfalls and lots of wildlife.
Many of the redwoods either had hollows in them or had been damaged by fire. Some had even been cut down. But they were incredibly BIG!

I'm not having a lot of luck with my campfire photos, but you get the idea here. We enjoyed a wonderful campfire. Heather made shishkebabs and we roasted marshmallows for dessert.


We hiked along a creek to a waterfall the next day. It was really a lovely spot--almost liked a grotto. I didn't get any good photos of the waterfall because it was so dark.

Altogether a great trip, but I'm happy to be home in Boone again.

5 comments:

Julie said...

What a fun grandmother you are, Joyce. When you said you could make huge bubbles, and then you mentioned you used all that soap liquid, I thought you were exaggerating! Then I saw the photo of the GIGANTIC bubble and I quickly changed my mind. Wow. It looks like a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the videos. I'm assuming you were at the dentist's office when you took the before and after photos. You're right. Good looking boys. You were one busy lady, packing all that activity into one week. Your blog this time just overflowed with fun, gaity and a lot of happiness. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Grandkids let you be a kid again! I'm so sorry you had to cancel your trip here. (For those who haven't heard yet, Julie got halfway here and had to turn around due to severe back pain.) We were really looking forward to showing you around this gorgeous area.

Yup. I'm a happy camper!

Joyce and Wiley said...

Hudson is about to get his head shaved for the county swimming competition!

Anonymous said...

Julie, sorry your plans fell through. Hope you are feeling better. You can put a trip to Boone, NC on your list of things to do. I guess #1 right now is to get you back taken care of. :-(
Joyce, the boys are cute as they can be. Mark and Heather are doing a great job, as parents, but look at their role models. They did somthing right also.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Thanks for the kind words, Mag. I think my sons did a great job choosing their spouses. They're wonderful parents.

I just got an e-mail from Julie. The pain management doctor recommended shots and exercises. She also got a muscle relaxer and has at least gotten some sleep!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!