9/10/09 (Thursday): I only have about 15 minutes before the grands get home from school, so I'll get right to it. I finally downloaded the pics from my camera, so I'll share a few with you. I think I had mentioned the very nice KOA campground near Lima, OH. The sites were large and shaded and there was farmland all around.

Each site had a little wooden deck or patio and a picnic table. We really enjoyed it.
There were corn fields and soybean fields on both sides of the campground.And there were several pear and apple trees on the property.
The day we spent at the botanic gardens was really special. We really enjoyed the children's garden, where everything was perfectly sized for the kids.
Anna and Margo started school the Tuesday after Labor Day. Margo goes to kindergarten half a day and Anna is in second grade. I was privileged to go with them and meet their teachers. Both the girls are good students--they make their granny proud! Claire starts pre-school three days a week next week.
Yesterday Wiley and I went to Greenfield Village while the girls were in school. We had a thoroughly good time--walked our legs off! I've got tons of pictures that I'll share with you another time. For now, I'll just show you my two favorite things. This is the Cotswold Cottage and its beautiful gardens. Julie, you would have spent the rest of the day here!
We also spent a lot of time in this tiny 1700's silk processing plant. It was amazing! The cocoons are boiled to kill the silk "worm." Then the end of the silk thread is found and pulled up between two spikes on a board and secured to a bobbin. The bobbin is wound by hand and the tiny, thin thread doesn't break. Eventually the threads are twisted together and then woven into silk fabric. In a space no bigger than most folks living rooms, they could process enough silk to make a man's necktie in a day! By hand!!
Today Wiley and I toured a Ford F150 factory. That was very neat, too. We couldn't take any photos, but we actually saw the factory with cars being assembled. In addition there were two movies and some exhibits.

We're having fun and recuperating rapidly from the trials and tribulations of the past year. Hope everyone is staying healthy and enjoying the beginning of another autumn.

1 comment:

Julie said...

So nice to see the "new, erect" Wiley in that new hat! The cornfield looked already picked; that pear tree made me hungry; but the best was the kids posing in the grape arbor. That little Clare is so huggable! I couldn't help but notice the huge backpack (we used to call them bookbags) Anna was carrying. It is almost as large as Anna.

I loved the old stone wall. It reminded me of the one on my grandfather's farm. The silk cocoon visit was very interesting. Did you set up that photo -- the opened cocoons and leaf laying on the table? Having a shoulder issue, I also couldn't help but think how difficult it would be to work with one's arm raised like that -- my arm hurt just thinking about working in that position. I hope it wasn't an all-day thing!

Yes, I would definitely have spent all day in the gardens -- that's surely a given even though I haven't seen any photos yet from there. Can't wait.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!