7/16/10 (Friday):  We just spent our last day in D.C., and it was a great one!  We toured the White House and visited the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.  I don't have any pictures to post because we weren't allowed to take cameras (or cell phones) to the White House.  But I still have pics I haven't posted from earlier days of our trip.

On the way from Chincoteague to the Baltimore area, we passed this tractor made of hay bales.  Pretty cute way to draw the eye to your political sign, don't you think?  There were a number of charming old homes and some beautiful country.  It was a good drive.






We were headed to the Baltimore area to visit with my Uncle Dean (my mother's "baby" brother).  We enjoyed our visit a lot, including a wonderful lunch at Double T Diner, which is a chain that was formerly owned by a good friend of his from Greece.  Watch the video to see Katelyn show you their "limited" menu (NOTE:  I had trouble downloading the video, so if you don't see it, I'll try to post it another time).


After our visit with my uncle, we checked into a campground in Ellicott City, Maryland, and the next day we took the public bus (quite an experience!) to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore.    Baltimore has been a major seaport since the 1700's.  When I was a girl growing up in D.C., it was not an area a family would want to visit.  That all changed in the 1970's.  We spent most of our visit at the aquarium.  It was really spectacular!




There are numerous old buildings and some new ones, too, like the World Trade Center, which has a great view over the city.

I believe this red brick building is the old power plant, which was turned into a bunch of restaurants and shops.  But I'm not sure, and we didn't go in there.







The lightship Chesapeake














and a submarine were both anchored right outside of the aquarium (wicked looking, eh?).

We're heading back to Florida tomorrow to take Katelyn home.  We'll spend a few days in New Smyrna Beach for some doctor's appointments, and then we're headed for Michigan to visit Tom, Kristin and the girls.  We'll come back by way of Pittsburgh to visit Wiley's cousin, and then head for Boone, NC for the remainder of the summer.  If any of my D.C. photos came out good, I'll do one more blog between now and then.  Thanks for sharing our adventure!

5 comments:

Julie said...

That guitar atop the old red building is new. John and I actually spent many, many weekends in Baltimore. We took the tour through that submarine and I will never forget how small and closed in a submarine can be. I'd have had to be carried out as a mental case had I been required to spend much time in there.

We, too, loved the acquarium and have been through there several times. Did you all climb to the top of the Fort (located on the other side of Inner Harbor)? You weren't there long enough or I would have sent you to the Farmer's Market and a wonderful local eating place called Bertha's Mussels. Of course, I am aware Wiley would have enjoyed the fish more than his wife but they also make the best homemade pies in all of Ba'more!

I think next time we are in D.C. area, we'll just have to visit Baltimore again. Brings back wonderful memories.

Lucie said...

Love the pictures!! Those hay bales are clever. Did Katelyn have a good time?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize that Baltimore had become such a nice city! We're looking forward to your visit - Claire will be opening her birthday gifts today.

Love,
Tom

Nana said...

Katelyn had a GREAT time. A history lessons out side of a class room. Joyce had to deal with a 14 year old. She is typical, but a very good kid.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Katelyn was an excellent travel companion. She was game for just about anything. I think we walked her feet off--she got blisters from her sandals--but there was no whining or complaining. Good kid.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!