8/9/07 (Thursday): Well, I'm not an especially happy camper today. Maybe doing a post will cheer me up a little.

There's a plumbing problem at our site, and we're not able to dump our holding tanks. The owner is not being particularly helpful. We were able to dump on a nearby site yesterday, but now there's a camper on the site, and we're full up for the weekend. It doesn't look like any work will be completed until next week at the earliest, so we're out of options (other than not using our kitchen or bathroom). I guess we're going to have to be conservative in our water/bathroom use and then go to the dump station when we're full. That's a real pain, because we have to secure everything inside the camper, hook up to the truck, drive to the dump station and then reverse the process. Bummer. I'd be taking the whole situation more calmly if the owner was being more pleasant about it, but he's not helping at all and doesn't seem to understand why there's any problem. Oh well, we'll work something out.

We had a pleasant walk one evening last week on the dirt road that runs by the campground. There are a lot of dirt roads in this area and we love to drive or walk them.










There are also lots of interesting old barns.













There are still lots of wildflowers in bloom here. Unfortunately, there's a drought and the trees and ferns are beginning to drop their leaves. I fear there won't be much fall color this year.










We've had my cousin, Donna, her husband, Dave, and their two grandchildren, Ashley and Christopher, visiting for the last couple of days. (They're camping in their humongous motor home in a site near us.) That's been a bright spot in our week. We've enjoyed a couple of camp fires, s'mores, and fishing. They're having a problem with their refrigerator, so it's been nice for all of us to have a break from our difficulties. We enjoyed a great (late) dinner at a little beach restaurant on Lake Michigan. It was a spectacular sunset, but I was a little too late taking this picture to capture the best of it.

We went to Tom and Kristin's on Monday and Tuesday. Anna starts Kindergarden in September, and she was having some safety orientation, so I got to spend some time with Margo and Claire. It was awfully quiet with Anna out of the house, but I think the other girls enjoyed having some time with their Granny.

Okay. I do feel better now. I guess the owners are pretty stressed with the robbery and fire, so I'll try to bear with them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are off to Vero Beach for several days. Sorry you are having problems. With so many good times you and Wiley write about You can handle a few bumps in the road. Just one weekend with those beautiful young ladies of Tom's makes it all worth while. "This To Shall Pass". We are off to find gold.The kids are bringing their detctors. Using them just like Uncle Wiley taught them.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Thanks for your support, Mag. The situation is already better. The owner spoke with Wiley (he tends to deal better with men than women!) and told him he'd have a professional out here on Monday if he couldn't get it fixed by then.

Julie said...

O.K., Joyce, I wasn't very worried about your upcoming "shitty" weekend because for all the many years that I've known you, you have that wonderful gift of getting yourself out of down moods and before you know it, you're off and running and enjoying life in spite of those lumps and bumps! You still managed to send us photos with your blog.

Just one comment -- pull up the barn scene, enlarge it, and do you see the white teddy bear with the black hat stuck in the tree on the left side of the photo? That's all I can see but John says he doesn't see it. I tried to just see white sky coming through but I just see a teddy bear! It even has eyes and maybe one could even say a printed blanket below over it's legs. Now if you can't see it, I guess I'm just past help!

It's supposed to be 110 here today -- mowed the lawn but had to stop five times to go inside to cool off. It's hot here. Hope things get fixed sooner rather than later.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Julie, you always have a way of making my day and making blogging worthwhile! I don't see a teddy bear, but it was fun looking!

The plumbing problem is fixed, but the boss needs a major attitude adjustment, and I don't think he's going to make one. So far, since we've been here, three people have refused to work with him, one almost quit until the wife talked her into staying, and one couple left because of him. I've never minded him much--he's crusty outside but basically soft and sweet inside--and he's very kind to Wiley. But he's not going to disrespect me again and get away with it. There's not much of the season left, but I think I'm going to have to speak my piece to him. We'll see.

We went for a drive in the country through Amish fields almost ready to harvest and barns stuffed full of hay. We ended up in Fremont with ice cream cones. That did a lot to improve my mood.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there J&W, only 1 1/2 mos to go, then you can go find GOLD in California.


uncle Ed & T

Anonymous said...

Teddy Bear is so cute?

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!