3/11/08 (Tuesday): Spring has sprung here at beautiful Lake Piru! We've been enjoying some beautiful weather, new friends, fun trips and a plethora of wildflowers.

We've had three new Workamper couples start in the last couple of weeks. We've become especially close to John, who's originally from Scotland. We love to listen to him talk! John arrived in a very small motor home. He knew when he came here that he wanted to buy something bigger, but he wasn't sure what. We had him over for dinner, and he fell in love with our 5th wheel. He decided he wanted one laid out exactly like ours, and we went out with him and found one! We also helped him negotiate a very good price. He's now moved in to his new home and loving it.

We took Sunday off (I've been putting in a lot of hours in the office--loving it, but needed a break). We took the Metro to Long Beach (the south end of Los Angeles) and went on a whale watch.














Didn't see any whales, but had a great time anyhow. We saw four lighthouses, lots of sailboats, big container ships, and working fishing boats.
















It took me about 20 tries to catch the light flashing in the Point Vicentes Light at Redondo Beach, where we turned and headed back to the Long Beach Harbor, whaleless, sunburned, and thoroughly contented!









I especially enjoyed seeing the Queen Mary, which is now permanently docked at Long Beach Harbor. My father shipped to Europe during WWII when this great cruise ship temporarily became a troop ship.









We also enjoyed the view of the L.A. skyline, the docks and the busy working harbor where lots of container ships (many from China) unload their cargo.










Today we took a short hike up Piru Canyon after I finished at work.




The wildflowers are just spectacular. The first shot in the blog was taken in a field overlooking Lake Piru. (And yes, those are lupine! We saw them in Maine and Florida and now they cover the hillsides in California. The yellow/orange flowers in the first shot in the blog are poppies.)

Julie's been having severe back pain and probably won't be able to come for a visit as she had planned.

So, Julie, these shots are for you! I hope everyone enjoyed their wildflower "walk."

We're happy campers here, but we're also beginning to be excited about our coming departure. We've made reservations for a trip to the Grand Canyon on an antique steam train. We'll stay overnight in an old depot hotel, have a guided tour of the Grand Canyon, and on our return we'll stay one more night in a KOA nearby. Then we'll head East, stopping (we hope) at Painted Desert and Petrified Forest among other things. We'll spend several days in FL with Wiley's family, and then head for Boone, NC, where we're expected on 4/25. It's only about 12 hours between Orlando and Boone.

Tune in again soon, and keep those comments coming!

10 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, how I love your wildflower photos. Love them! Love them! Love them! So beautiful. John and I will expect you enroute home or enroute to your new campground. Wiley can do my lawn and you can wash my kitchen floor! Only kidding. Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it out to California before you leave; however, we will expect to see you either here in Ocala, Orlando or NC.

Last night I stayed up until 2:28 a.m. so I could see the night launch of the Endeavor. During the daytime, unbelievable as it sounds, we can see the cloud trail of launches if it is a clear day. So I imagined seeing this beautiful faint light streaking upward through the sky. I saw nothing. I mean nothing. I couldn't believe it. In fact, I stood outside, staring at a black sky for over 20 minutes, in total disbelief.

I guess we'll have to drive over the next time there is a launch. We've just got to experience a launch one time.

Julie said...

I also wanted to comment on the beautiful lighthouse shot. That is a very beautiful photo. Also, the lighted lighthouse shot. Great going. It seems you caught a plane flying over in one of the shots, too. Loved the birds sitting on the long "whatever you call it" in two of the photos. Wiley, I can't help but comment on the huge change in your posture. You are standing so erect -- it makes such a difference. It just makes you look so much younger and handsomer. Keep up the hard work. It's paying off in a big way.

Anonymous said...

You are really doing a bang-up job
picture taking. Of course, the scenery in the surrounding countryside doesn't hurt. And the places you are visiting -- when I used to hear actors refer to them, I just assumed they were made up names, like Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga. How fortunate you are to aee such. We are so eager for you to tell about them in person. Troy

Anonymous said...

I love the spring picture.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize that LA had such an interesting waterfront! Wiley looks great, the posture definitely makes a difference.

Boone is only about 40 miles from I-77, which is one of the routes we take to/from Hilton Head. Hopefully we can meet you for a quick visit!

Love,
Tom

Joyce and Wiley said...

I wish everyone could come see CA right now. It's truly lovely. Every hillside is bursting with colorful flowers. It's hard to take a good picture of them because the displays are so vast. And close-ups don't have the impact of the overall picture.

The weather has been quite warm this week--in the 80's--but it's supposed to turn cooler this weekend.

We're moving from our temporary office trailer to our newly renovated office. It's lovely, but I must say I'm not looking forward to hooking up all the computers and office equipment and setting up all the office supplies again!

Next week I'll be training the new camphosts who'll be working in the office. I'm going to miss all the great people we've met here!

Joyce and Wiley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OMG Joyce, how I envy you. I'm still here plugging away at Coca-Cola (27 years now). Hoping for a package every day. Can't wait until you go to Boone (we've talked about retiring near there).
Take care Joyce (tell Wiley hello).
Paula Ledford

Joyce and Wiley said...

It's so good to hear from you, Paula! Your day will come, and I hope you're making big plans for enjoying your retirement. I might come by Coke and say "hi" to everyone toward the end of April when we're in town. In the meantime, let everyone know I think of them often.

Darcie said...

The flower pictures are great. When we went on a whale watch in Maine they gave refunds if you didn't see whales. I can see why you enjoyed the trip anyway though.
Julie~we couldn't see the shuttle very good either....too cloudy I think

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!