9/16/07 (Tuesday): Not a lot going on here. The number of campers has declined greatly, especially during the week.

We've gotten a little more rain. In fact, we've gotten a lot more rain! These mushrooms sprouted in the campsite right next to ours.

The trees are just beginning to turn--I don't know if it's actually autumn or if it's drought damage. I'm leaving tomorrow for a short visit with Tom and Kristin and the girls.

The other morning when we got up, Elk Knob (which we see from our living room) had the most gorgeous cloud formations on and around it. I had a little trouble getting a picture of it because there were power lines and campground buildings in the way.

We'd never hiked up Elk Knob, despite the fact that it's our closest peak, so after work one day, we tackled it. This is some gorgeous land that was slated for development until the Nature Conservancy bought it and gave it to the state. It's a state park now. There's lots of trail building and other activity going on. The beginning of the trail has been completed by volunteers and it's one of the nicest trails I've ever hiked.

After the first third, though, it's just a rough fire break--very steep and rocky. I felt pretty proud of myself for making it to the summit!

Just as we got to the peak, the clouds rolled in, so we didn't get to see the views that stretch over several major peaks and clear to Tennessee and Virginia.



The trip back down was even more strenuous than the trip up because I was very concerned about slipping on the rocky trail. We made it without incident, but my hips and knees ached for a couple of days afterwards.

We didn't see any wildlife--just some butterflies and a few wild flowers. This yellow moth caught my eye.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a short visit with Tom's family. And that's the news from this part of the world!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are some really good trail pictures. I could almost feel my boots slipping on the rocks. Thanks for once more transporting me up out of the swamp (Florida).

Troy

Joyce and Wiley said...

Those were good trail pics because it was a really good trail! It's almost hiking season again in FL--we're looking forward to getting back there.

Julie said...

We're back from a week in Watercolor, Florida (enroute to Destin) where we attended my nephew's wedding. What a beautiful drive home (we followed 30A as far as we could and then drove on 98 East along the gorgeous Gulf Coast). Together with two of our children, we had rented a cottage where we had no access to the Internet. Instead, we put a puzzle together, spent lots of time on the beach swatting deer flies and lovebugs, perusing the seaside shops and just relaxing.

Upon our return to Ocala, I had to see what you'd posted, Joyce -- even before checking my "ton" of e-mails. Wiley, I must say with your beard, hat and pole you remind me of a prospector found by Joyce atop the mountain! I daresay she looks quite happy with her find. [Smile]

I agree with Tom -- I also am itching to hike, especially after seeing your enticing hiking photos. I thought the leaves moving in your video near the end was pretty neat. It added to the appeal of the video. I was impressed by your naming of all those mountains (were you reading from a posted sign?) but to be honest, I couldn't tell where one began and another ended. Nevertheless, the video was still thrilling to watch.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, what a view to have from your living room window! And those mushrooms look like mutants - the biggest one could almost serve as an umbrella.

I couldn't have done that walk in my present lack of physical shape - kudos to you and Wiley for managing it!

Joyce and Wiley said...

Welcome back to the blog, Lucie--we've missed you!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!