5/24/06 (Wednesday): We've arrived! We're in love with Maine and the campground and the nearby towns and the grocery store (and WalMart and Home Depot)!! We've met the male half of the couple that owns it (John), and one workamper couple (Richard and Fran). Very nice. The workamper couple sounds German or Scandanavian and John has a British (Australian?) accent. We had our choice of a couple of sites, and picked one that has a little bit of a side yard. It backs up to an old rock wall that has chipmunks living in it. We walked around the campground (85 sites). There's a rocky, fast-moving stream running through it, which tumbles down into Penobscot Bay as a waterfall right beside the common area. There are rustic seats and porch swing on the rocky cliff overlooking the Bay. There's a lighthouse almost close enough to swim to. I have to recharge my camera so that I can get some pictures.

We had a quick lunch in the camper, and then went exploring. We needed a grocery store and a hardware store. We're in between the towns of Camden and Rockland, and Rockport is just south of Rockland. We went into Rockland and found a Home Depot, Walmart, Shaw's Grocery Store and Osco pharmacy all right there. The Shaw's grocery is one of the nicest groceries I've ever been in. They had a huge natural foods section, and a large section of pre-prepared food. I picked up some breaded bay scallops (enough for me and Wiley) for $3.68 and two nice sized pieces of breaded flounder for $5.98. Good eating for very little. We have a couple of projects in mind to make the camper more liveable, and found everything we needed at Home Depot. There were also a Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonalds, and the ubiquitous Dunkin' Donuts. I swear, I've never seen so many Dunkin' Donuts in my life as I have in New England! They're in every little town!! And yet, I haven't seen as many overweight people as I did in the South.

We're just so thrilled that it's everything we'd hoped it would be. Now we have a week to get our bearings before we start work. I'll post pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!