5/30/06 (Tuesday): Today was mostly errand day. We had to get library cards, get the tires rotated and find a doctor to be our temporary family physician while we’re in Maine. I don’t know how we ever got any of our day-to-day activities done and worked full time, too. It’s just amazing how the days speed by when you’re not working! I just love being able to decide how to spend my time, though. So far I haven’t taken the time to just sit down and read for an hour or two in the middle of the day if I want to, but I have dropped everything to take a walk.

We got a tourist’s library card at the Rockland Library. It’s a beautiful old building, built in the early 1900’s. The inside is full of carved plaster and has arched ceilings. There’s even a fireplace in the reading room. Even on a weekday, there were quite a few people there, reading newspapers and magazines and sitting at beautiful old oak tables doing research. The back wall is all glass with a view of the water and the blooming yard. I found a Nevada Barr book I haven’t read yet. I love her novels—they all take place in national parks and involve solving a murder. Nevada Barr was formerly a National Park Service officer, so they seem pretty authentic.

We had noticed that one of the truck tires was wearing in an odd pattern. We were due to have them rotated anyhow, so we asked the guy in the tire place to check them out. He says they’re all wearing oddly, and GM is replacing Bridgestone tires for a similar problem, but he wasn’t aware that there was any problem with Ford’s. They’re a brand I’ve never heard of. We’re going to get an appointment at the Ford dealer and have them looked at. It’s always something, isn’t it!

We found a family doctor who’ll take our insurance. It turns out we’re less than a mile from a hospital with a huge physician’s center attached. We had lunch in their cafeteria--$3 apiece for baked ziti, steamed zucchini and a couple of soft drinks.

Wiley worked in our little garden when we got home and I potted around the RV, cleaning, organizing and starting dinner. I’ve found a radio station that plays classic rock and has very few commercials. The RV has speakers in all the rooms, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to some Beatles, Chicago, and REM. We did hamburgers on the grill for dinner. I missed having corn on the cob, though—it’s not going to be in season here for quite a while!

Tomorrow I’m going to weed the campground beds and Wiley’s going to mow. We’ll put in six hours each tomorrow and Thursday, and then next week we’ll be officially on the payroll.

Here are some random pictures that I haven't posted yet.


This is my son, Mark, and his family (left to right) Austin, Heather, Mark, and Hudson at Wekiwa Springs State Park in April of this year.









This is me and Margo on my Spring visit this year.

















This is me and Anna on the same visit.









I just realized I don't have a recent picture of Tom and Kristin with the girls. Think you could rememdy that for me, son?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I particularly like the Camden Harbor photo. Your pictures are coming through very nice and clear. It sounds like you are going to have a fantastic summer, in spite of a specially-decorated duvet cover!

Joyce and Wiley said...

Camden is a cool town. When you come up, we'll go to some of the little shops. Wiley and John can fish or hang out in one of the pubs and wait for us. There are all kinds of antique and gift shops in quaint old houses.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!