8-13-06 (Sunday): Well, it's been quite a while since I updated my blog. I haven't lost interest, I've just been busy! I won't go into a lot of detail, but here's a quick update of what we've been up to. Then I'll try to get back to posting at least twice a week.

Last Tuesday after work, we went into Camden for a walk. Camden is a neat little town about two miles north of the campground. It has two historic districts dating from the mid-1800's. I took some pictures of some of the interesting looking houses.
















This is Camden's old school. It's now a Montessori school, but I suspect it was originally the only school in Camden, covering grade school through high school.

One of these days we're going to do the historic district walking tour!








We worked again on Wednesday, and then decided (spur of the moment) that we'd leave for Bangor instead of waiting until Thursday morning. I couldn't wait to see my newest sweetie pie (here she is)! My flight to Michigan was so early that we'd have had to get up at 4 AM and then rush to get to the airport. This wound up being a great decision. We had a leisurely drive on back roads, checked into a really nice hotel and had a pleasant dinner out. I finally got to take a bath in a great tub (my bathtub is one of the few things I've been missing from our house)! We had breakfast on the way to the airport and made it with time to spare. Wiley got to fish in some new places on the way back home, and I had a relaxed flight.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with Tom and his great family. Anna has grown up so much! She's a great help with her new little sister, Claire. Margo has always loved baby dolls, and has now become quite the little conversationalist. She is fascinated by Claire. She's also learned that she doesn't always have to follow Anna's lead! We had a relaxing day at home the day I arrived. We spent some time on the deck and enjoyed the weather, worked on some art projects, read books and generally relaxed and got reacquainted.



Thursday worked out really well. Margo wakes up earlier than Anna, so I got to spend some time with her before Anna and the baby came downstairs. This is the first time I've visited that she seemed to remember me and didn't have any shy time. We had a blast playing with her dolls and tinkertoys. Margo still takes an afternoon nap, so I had some private time with her during which we mostly did art projects. She seems (to Granny!) to be quite advanced artistically. I brought home some of her drawings with me. In between times, I got to hold Claire (a lot)! She's such a sweet little armful, and loves to be held! After Daddy came home, we went to Chuck E. Cheese--what an adventure for Granny (I'd never been before)! I think we did just about every electronic game in the place!

On Friday, Kristin baked some fantastic cookies which we later took to a block party. I spent a lot of time just holding Claire at the party so that Mommy and Daddy could enjoy a visit with their neighbors and supervise the kids during all the activities. The weather was great, and I really enjoyed myself.









I helped the girls decorate their bikes for the parade (and also their helmets). Don't they look adorable?! We had a great final day together. (Jim and Agnes--the matching dresses you sent the girls were adorable!)











The trip home today started rather inauspiciously--I was a little nervous about the newest terrorist threat anyhow, so when the flight was delayed for almost 2 hours because (according to the pilot) they had to "redistribute the baggage in the cargo compartment," I definitely felt uneasy. But the flight was uneventful and I even got Wiley back to work on time. Now I'm vegging out. It's back to work tomorrow. I hope everyone has a great week--I'll try to have an adventure or two to report soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no, Joyce. You have totally spoiled us. We sign on every day and I so look forward to reading your blog. Even if you have boring days, tell us and we'll either be bored with you or we'll have some questions for you. Such as, what, to you, is a typical Mainer? Somewhat shy? Aloof at first? Very open? Rugged people? Or do you not get in contact with many residents since you see more campers. Where are your campers from? How far away?

Your grandkids look very happy with their granny. I know you had a grand time.

I was thinking of you when we had the terrorist threat. Did you know ahead of time about the no liquids ban or did you have to repack at the airport?

Anonymous said...

In your second home picture, did you notice the tower with the flag on it in the background? Pretty neat. The homes all look huge. Wouldn't you think it would be expensive to heat them, especially with their long, cold winters?

Anonymous said...

What a doll baby that Claire is! Sounds like she's a good little thing, too, and that it was indeed a great visit! Glad you made it home safe - this latest terrorist plot was so unnerving. I was thinking about my former boss and all his travel!

Joyce and Wiley said...

Okay, Julie--you asked for it! I won't promise every day, but I'll try for at least every other day.

I've met a few people from Maine, and like people everywhere, they're all different. If I had to generalize, I'd say the ones I've met have been reserved but friendly if you take the initiative to speak to them. Our campers are from all over. We get a number of French Canadians and I've had quite a few from Florida. I've even had a few Californians and West Coasters.

I heard about the terrorist threat on the news, so I dumped all my liquids before I left. I always travel light, so it wasn't a problem--just a couple of travel sized containers of shampoo and toothpaste.

A lot of the houses in this area have cupolas, some with bells and/or flags. Almost all the houses have weather vanes. As an interesting aside, most of the churches don't have crosses--they have weather vanes instead.

Most of the biggest homes have been turned into bed and breakfasts. Rockland has some smaller old homes, but Camden is a pretty exclusive community. I'd hate to have to heat them!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!