8/14/06 (Monday): Feeling kind of sad today--it would have been my father's 89th birthday. I can't believe he's been gone for 2 years already. He would have loved Maine.

It was surprisingly busy at work today (for a Monday). We only had about 13 campsites left. I checked in a lot of campers and sold a lot of wood and ice. One couple came in and bought almost $90 of souvenirs (tee shirts, sweat shirts, mugs and stuffed animals)!

Julie's comment in yesterday's blog about what Mainers are like made me think about Maine and how I would describe it. When I let my mind wander and think about my impressions of Maine so far, the first thing I think of is the indescribably lovely scent of the air—a combination of seaweed and salt water, wild roses, sun-warmed rock and grass, and evergreens. Lobster boats, traps and buoys come to mind next, along with sailing schooners. The rugged, rocky coastline and sunlight on the water. Mountains that meet the sea. Island studded coves. Reserved, honest, hard working folks. Simple homes that have stood for hundreds of years. Gardens everywhere. Local businesses catering to local needs (from lobstering gloves to laundry detergent and groceries). Communities that work. Simplicity in most things. I love Maine. I’m so glad we are having the chance to experience this way of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Belated "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to your Dad. You and Jan made every day a happy day for your Dad. You were wonderful daughters and always showed him repsect.

Joyce and Wiley said...

It's wonderful of you to say that, Mag. He was a great Dad and easy to respect.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!