8-28-06 (Monday): Just some miscellaneous musings tonight--no great trips to report or anything. We're 3 days into our 4-day work week and it's been raining, so we haven't done anything exciting.

I think I mentioned that we'll be going to an end of summer celebration this coming Monday at the boss's house. It'll be good to have a chance to socialize with the other workampers. They're leaving right after labor day and another couple is coming in to finish up the season. I met them briefly, and they seemed very nice. They're first timers, too.

We're looking forward to our time off this week. We're planning a hike through a boggy area where we might see moose. I still haven't seen one, and I'm determined to see one before we leave Maine! The next week we're planning a trip to Baxter State Park. This is where the Appalachian Trail terminates on Mt. Kathadin. We're staying at a nearby campground and will just visit the park during the day. The whole park, including the campgrounds and cabins, is very primitive, without any toilet facilities and not even any purified water. That's just a little too primitive for me! I don't want to carry in all my water!

Speaking of animals (moose), Wiley saw something that looked like a weasel down near the ocean the day. Another camper also saw something similar. A couple of nights later, a camper came into the store and asked if I had any idea what kind of animal was prowling around the campsites near the ocean at night that sounded like a hyena! I got on the internet, and although I couldn't find out what kind of sound they make, I think the animal the campers and Wiley saw was either a fisher or a marten. They're in the weasel family and they live in this area. I'd sure like to find out what they sound like, though!

I guess that's it for tonight. I'll check in again in a couple of days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are still out here, reading and enjoying your blogs. Hey all you readers Joyce needs encouragement.I know we are making hurricane plans, but let her know we are reading------She may stop writing.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Thanks, mother-in-law! I do really enjoy reading your comments and it keeps me motivated to know that you're reading my blog.

Julie said...

Finally, we see the workamper couple together. That's a great shot of the both of you. I also like the beautiful shot of you, Joyce, with the lake in the background.

I saw the blue markings when you were hiking. Did you walk "through" those huge rocks? At first I thought Wiley was just climbing up to get his picture taken, but a second look seems to indicate he's actually on a path.

Also, aren't you afraid of snakes, bears and all kinds of wild critters when you hike in such deserted areas? Ugh, I don't think I could do that unless another couple were along. However, I know you both are experienced hikers. Any more stories about your jobs? The red flower looks sort of like red mushrooms.

Joyce and Wiley said...

That's actually Penobscot Bay in the background of the shot of both of us. The shot of me sitting down has both Mirror Lake and Penobscot Bay in it.

The blue marks are called blazes, and they mark the trail. The trail did, indeed, squeeze between and over some pretty big rocks!

I'm more afraid of humans than animals when I'm hiking. We seldom even see animals--they're more afraid of us than we are of them (with good reason).

I think the picture you're talking about is tiny little red mushrooms, not flowers. We saw quite a few mushrooms on the hike.

The job is pretty much routine for me now.

Julie said...

I've never seen red mushrooms!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!