6-6-06 (Tuesday): More training today. We had practice exercises that were kind of tricky (deliberately so). Lori had listed 6 different situations that we had to make reservations for and then assign a site. Sites are assigned based on what kind of hookups are needed, the size of the camper, etc. Rates are based on the kind of site and how many people. There are also rules, like: the rate is based on 2 adults and 2 children and if there are more people, there’s an extra charge. There’s also a limit on how many people are allowed per site. Rates are also higher on holiday weekends. That sort of thing. Anyhow, I really messed up on one reservation because I didn’t realize that they were requesting two pull-through sites. But I got all the rest perfect! Everyone else got quite a few wrong! So I felt pretty good about that.

I can’t remember if I mentioned that tomorrow Lori and John are having a get together for us to celebrate the beginning of the season and the completion of our training. They’re providing the lobster and wine and each couple is bringing a side dish. I’m bringing my “famous” pasta salad. The Dykes clan always asks me to bring this to every pot luck. So I made this when I got out of training today. Here’s the recipe:

Joyce’s Pasta Salad

1 box tri-color rotini (you can use any pasta)
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped (reserve two to slice on top, if desired)
½ bell pepper, chopped finely
½ sweet onion (Vidalia), chopped finely
3-4 Italian plum tomatoes, cubed
1 small can sliced ripe olives, drained
½ cup grated parmesan cheese (fresh, not dried) (reserve a little for topping)
McCormick’s Salad Seasoning Mix (to taste)
½ bottle French’s low fat Zesty Italian dressing

Cook pasta according to package directions (al dente—don’t overcook it). Toss the pasta with the remaining ingredients. Season to taste with the Salad Seasoning. If desired, slice two hard boiled eggs to decorate top, sprinkle with more Salad Seasoning mix and grated parmesan. Chill for at least a couple of hours or overnight.

I use a mini food processor that my mother-in-law gave me to do the chopping. It really makes this go fast.

While I was making the pasta salad, I also whipped up one of my quick and easy meals for me and Wiley for dinner—chicken cous cous salad. It’s very easy and versatile because you can change the ingredients around. Here’s the recipe for it:

Joyce’s Chicken Cous Cous Salad

2 cups couscous
About 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (or one large can of water packed chicken)
½ cup dried cranraisins (or raisins)
½ cup chopped almonds (or pecans or other nuts)
½ sweet onion, chopped
½ bell pepper, chopped
1 tart apple, coarsely chopped (not peeled)
Italian salad dressing (low fat) to taste

Cook cous cous according to package directions, but add the cranraisins to the water before bringing it to a boil. Toss the other ingredients together with enough salad dressing to make it slightly sticky (you don’t want it very wet). Chill before serving (although we ate it warm tonight and it was pretty good).

After dinner we took Monkey for a walk and chatted with the other workamper couples. Then we drove into Rockland for ice cream sundaes, which we ate in the truck parked at the waterfront at sunset. There are a lot of sailboats docked in Rockland’s harbor, and it was quite beautiful to see them silhouetted against the darkening water and sky as the lights came on in all the little houses and buildings all around the cove. (This is not my picture--I got it from the City of Rockland's site. But it's exactly the view we were looking at.) Rockland is the closest fairly big town. It has a Walmart, Home Depot and a good grocery store.

I wish all of you could see how gorgeous this place is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts. We are doing O.K. Yesterday, the gator guy caught an 8-footer that had been running around in The Villages. He had to be shot because he was no longer afraid of people. I couldn't imagine a gator loose in, of all places, The Villages!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!