6/11/06 (Sunday): Okay—so I’m not the cash register queen. And I’ll admit I’m not the credit card machine queen, either. And the one thing I thought I’d done perfectly (taking a reservation) would have been perfect if it had been on a regular weekend, but it was a special weekend (Lobster Fest), so I had to call the customer back and tell him there’s a minimum stay of 3 days and I needed the full amount in advance instead of a deposit. As first days go, this one was pretty bad. I’m just glad I wasn’t doing brain surgery or something. I think part of the problem was that I was supposedly on my own, but the boss lady was in her office where she could hear everything I was doing.

I had so many butterflies in my tummy that I couldn’t eat the lunch Wiley fixed and brought to me! (Isn’t he a sweetie?!) Fortunately, even a bad day is not unbearable when it’s only 6 hours long. Wiley and I drove over the breakwater and hiked out to the lighthouse (7/8 mile each way). The rain finally broke this afternoon and the sun felt so great! Just as we reached the end of the breakwater we saw the ferry go by. The captain tooted his horn and the passengers waved. The sea gulls were out snacking on sea urchins, and the water was so clear we could see the starfish on the rocks below.

When we got home, Wiley made crab cakes from the meat he picked yesterday from the crabs he caught. I’m not a big crab fan, so I had the pierogies we bought ready-made at the grocery store.

Tomorrow is going to be a better day. I think I’ve made my mistakes and am ready to wow them. Send me some good vibes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I kept wondering why you never responded to my comments. I've been passing along tips and other nice stuff. I'm glad you figured that out.

As far as being "queen of a bad day," I don't think it was so bad. It was easily fixible and it seemed like a normal mistake, to me. I know you pretty well and you can be quite tough on yourself.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Yeah, you're right--I'm tougher on myself than any boss I've ever had. I'm used to being the star performer--you don't work for Coke for 17 years unless you've got something on the ball. It's difficult for me to be the new kid on the block, especially when most of the other workers have at least some retail experience. Today I found myself standing in front of the cash register with the rolled coins from the laundry, wondering how on earth to record it in the cash register. It finally occurred to me it was a sale, just like any other sale. People had "bought" laundry from us. So I just rang up the amount of coins I had collected, pressed the laundry department key and put it in the cash register. Duh!! It seems so obvious, but I had brain freeze until I thought it through logically. And I don't think well when I'm "performing." Today was much better.

I'm so glad I figured out how to read the comments. I wondered why no one was posting any!

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing just fine! From one perfectionist to another...

And I remember trying to figure a cash register out from my own years of retail and even volunteer experience!

By the way...how much would they charge to rent that lighthouse cottage at the end of the pier that Wiley is standing on? (heh-heh)

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!