9/20/06 (Wednesday): Today started out rainy and dreary and then turned into a gorgeous indian summer day. Dave's car has been in the shop since they got here, so he went with me to Walmart and the grocery store.

After lunch it cleared up and we took a walk on the breakwater. The breakwater is almost 5,000 feet long. It was built from 700,000 tons of stone, starting in 1881 and finished in 1899. The lighthouse on the end was erected in 1902. The water is very clear and there's lots of seaweed. We usually see starfish and sea urchins on the rocks and lots of seagulls and cormorants. Rockland harbor is full of interesting boats, including one that looks a lot like a pirate ship. We can never get a good picture of it because of the sun.

A lobster boat was working quite nearby and we saw the lobstermen retrieve several lobsters from their traps.


Although the wild flowers are fading, we're seeing more butterflies than ever before. I haven't figured that one out, yet.

After our walk, Donna and Dave picked up some lobsters and clams for us. We ate at the picnic table and had a nice fire.

Tomorrow we're going to go to Camden Hills State Park and then down to Port Clyde (the same trip we made with Wiley's parents). I've made some pasta salad and tomorrow I'll make some wrap sandwiches for our picnic lunch. I sure hope the good weather holds!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Joyce, I think I just lost my long blog I just wrote to you. I was attempting to preview it before sending it. Well, here goes. I'll sign in first and then retype it.

Julie said...

You mean the breakwater is almost a mile long? 5,280 feet in a mile, right? The house at the end of the breakwater doesn't look that far away.

Do lobstermen wear only orange overalls?

Of course, you know I loved that butterfly shot. Can I assume that's a monarch? By the way, is Wiley still doing a lot of fishing?

What a gorgeous hair that new workamper lady has for a campground in Maine. Don't expect me to show up with anything nearly so lovely.

I've got to go back to check if I've forgotten any comment I'd typed before. Continue to enjoy your blogs.

Julie said...

Oh, yes, that lobster looks so scrumptious!!! How many times have you and Wiley had lobster since May? Are lobsters cheaper in Maine? Mmmmm, can't wait!

Joyce and Wiley said...

Yup--the breakwater is 7/8 mile long. You don't have to walk all the way to the end to enjoy the gorgeous views, though.

We've only seen orange overalls on lobstermen, although the gloves they wear come in everything from red and blue to purple!

The lady with the gorgeous hair is my cousin, Donna. She looks exactly like her mother, including the great hair!

We've had lobster several times since we got here, and they're pretty cheap in Maine if you buy them and cook them yourselves. See the blog I'm about to write now--we bought some off the boat today! We paid $28 for 7 pounds of lobster (3 lobsters). I don't eat the things myself!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!