9/21/06 (Thursday): We did my favorite day trip today with my cousins, Donna and Dave. We started by driving up Mt. Battie in Camden Hills State Park. It was a crystal clear day--we could even see Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, which is a 2-hour drive away. Aren't those clouds magnificent?!

Next we headed for Owl's Head State Park. We had a picnic lunch overlooking the water and then walked up the steps to the lighthouse. I've posted pictures of the lighthouse many times before, so I won't bore you with more. We walked a bit on the beach looking for beach glass. The beach glass up here is really beautiful and many crafts people make lovely jewelry and mosaics from it. I found a piece of blue glass that's really nice.

Our next stop was Birch Point Beach State Park. Dave took a nap on the warm rocks while Donna and I sat by a huge tidal pool and watched a couple of crabs and some hermit crabs and hundreds of snails. Tidal pools are absolutely mesmerizing. I can sit and observe the life in them for hours! We also enjoyed watching this cormorant fish in the midst of a school of small fish. Every time he (she?) dove underwater, a little school of fish would jump out of the water and then (s)he'd reappear with a little fish meal in his bill.

From there we headed down the St. George peninsula, stopping here and there at little stores or scenic spots that appealed to us. We happened upon a lobster dock where a couple of boats had just pulled in. First we watched some guys load their boat with bait and fuel. They were apparently headed out for some evening lobstering (or maybe getting ready for a really early departure tomorrow). Then we watched them unloading one of the boats, and I called down and asked one of the men if we could buy some lobster. He sold us 3 big ones for $28!! That's a great price. The guys are out cooking them right now. This is the third day in a row that they've eaten lobster, but that's what they wanted to do. I'm not crazy about lobster, so I'll eat leftovers from last night.

We're planning to go over to Monhegan Island on the mail boat tomorrow. Should get some fantastic pictures there--a lot of artists live and paint there, including my personal favorite, Andrew Wyeth. Tune in again!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Joyce, the pictures are so very colorful and beautiful. The clouds in the first shot remind me of Indonesia -- one got the impression that he or she could simply pluck the clouds from the sky. They seemed so close.

In the tidal pool area -- can one wade in them or are they deeper than they appear?

I know you are not crazy about fish but when I saw those crates and crates of fish, my mouth absolutely watered. Deep fried in southern/creole-seasoned cornmeal. Yum-yum! Do you have any idea what kinds of fish they were?

I noticed the brightly-colored rubber gloves, along with the orange overalls. I don't know anything about the colored glass you are finding. Tell me more about it. Where does it come from? Is it real glass?

Your blogs have not lost any appeal -- they continue to be interesting and fun to read.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Wow--your comments really keep me going, Julie!

The tidal pools aren't deep, but they're very fragile. There's seaweed and lots of tiny animals in shells (snails, hermit crabs, etc.). It's fantastically relaxing to just sit and watch the life. Kind of like an aquarium.

The bait is usually herring, and it's usually been dead for a while, so I don't think you'd want to eat them!

The colored beach glass is clear, green, amber, brown and (rarely) blue or pink. It's broken pieces of glass that have been tumbled for years in the surf so that all the sharp edges are rounded off.

Treader Lucie said...

I would love to collect some of that beach glass - never have seen any on Florida beaches!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!