5/11/07 (Saturday): I'm sitting here looking at a hairy woodpecker on my bird feeder and a purple finch on my picnic table. This morning we had the Baltimore oriole and the rose-breasted grosbeak on the feeder at the same time. It's really cool to see some new birds! I snapped some pics with my binoculars, but I haven't figured out how to download them yet.

We worked Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday we were off. Tuesday we drove north, through Traverse City, to Grand Traverse Bay. I'm not sure if this is going to work, but try this link. We left from Frankfort (on the west side of the map) and went northeast. We traveled up the Mission Peninsula, which is the spit of land separating East and West Grand Traverse Bays. Click on this map link to see where we traveled: Map.

It was a gorgeous day, and we drove through many cherry orchards. The trees are in full bloom. Lovely. There were also a number of vinyards. We even stopped at a winery!





I only had about a tablespoonful of wine because I was driving. We bought some cherry wine--yummy--very dry, with just a hint of cherry aftertaste.





I hope you're not sick of wildflower pictures, because they keep getting even more beautiful. This green and white trillium was absolutely gorgeous! One of the roadside stops we made was by a field just completely covered with these little daisies.









The whole area (Grand Traverse Bay) is full of history.

The name Grand Traverse comes from the French. Early fur traders had a trail along the shore across the foot of Grand Traverse Bay, which they called Le Grand Traverse or "the long crossing." These two buildings are reconstructions of a home and school dating to the early 1800's.









At the very northern tip of the little peninsula was an old mission (there are no ruins there now). There is also a lighthouse, which is now a private residence. The lighthouse sits right on the 45th parallel.











We stopped at this little general store which has been in continuous operation for over 100 years. They had a tiny dining room, where the special of the day was pasties (pronounced like nasty), a meat, potato and turnip filled pastry that was brought to Michigan by Welsh miners. Wiley had gravy on his, but I had mine plain.












The interior of the store was absolutely crammed with items, including some that looked like they had been on the shelf for 100 years! I think Wiley would have made a fine fur trader, don't you?!









It was an altogether great day trip. I wish you could all come share our adventure!

P.S. The next day, Wiley caught his first keeper size fish (a pike). Life is good!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wiley looks a lot happier with the fish than in the hat :)
I wonder how much it costs to buy a residence with a lighthouse?

Joyce and Wiley said...

He was actually having fun with the hat--I guess I just clicked the shutter at a bad time.

I don't think I'd like to live in a lighthouse even if it was cheap enough to buy! Especially not one that had people driving up to gawk all the time!

Anonymous said...

We LOVE cherries in Florida, Hint, Hint. Joyce, you look so good bellied up to the BAR, that would make a great poster.
Let's us know how PIKE taste?
I would love to go in the store along with my tister.


Uncle ED

Joyce and Wiley said...

We haven't eaten the pike yet (it's in the freezer). Wiley caught a sucker fish (no kidding!) which he cooked (outside, at my request) and ate last night. It must have been really awful, because even he didn't like it!

I'll happily air express you some cherries when they get ripe. It's my understanding that they're the sour cherries that you cook with, not the eating kind.

I don't think I'd make a good poster child for wine tasting--it's not my favorite beverage!

Anonymous said...

Joyce, while traveling in England I enjoyed the Pasties--and was informed that, when pronounced as they look, that is a different thing altogether; something a stripper might know.
Sarah

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!