5/28/07 (Monday): I'm feeling very thankful to my father and uncles and all the other vets I know (Wiley Sr., Troy) for keeping our country safe. Thank you!

As I write this blog, I'm watching the Baltimore oriole eating a slice of orange I put in the feeder. A few minutes ago, there were two goldfinches (on the thistle sock) and a downy woodpecker on the peanut butter/raisin block. Before that, we had both the male and female rose-breasted grosbeaks. We've been buying new feed every 5-6 days, but it's worth it--great entertainment!

Not too much to report today. I worked in the office all weekend. We had 16 campers who were here just for the weekend in addition to a handful of seasonals who showed up. I felt very comfortable registering campers, taking reservations and selling ice, wood and candy. No stress, and lots of fun talking to campers from all over. A lot of the time in the office I'm just watching TV or gazing out the window. I saw this dove fly in and land on the woodpile outside the window, and it found a cozy spot, hunkered down, and went to sleep! It was still there an hour later when I left!


We've been exploring some of the nearby towns during our time off. This is the public library in Benzonia, about 6 miles from the campground. It was built in 1909 as the girls' dormitory for Benzonia Academy. When the school closed in 1916, it was bought by the Congregational Church and used as a community house. It's gorgeous inside--even has the original fireplaces. We also walked around Frankfort (our closest town). I liked the birdhouse in front of this old house!



Yesterday, we took a 4-mile walk on the Betsie Valley Trail (that's the one that runs beside our campground). We drove north about 10 miles and hiked the section near Beulah. It's a rail trail, and the old Beulah train station has been preserved. It was a crisp, sunny afternoon, and we had a great walk--didn't see another soul.





The only wildlife we saw was this black squirrel. Most of the squirrels up here are coal black. They're actually the same species as the gray squirrels, but they have melaninism (the opposite of albinism).









Wiley caught another keeper! It's a brown trout about 15 inches long. He ate the whole thing--I didn't like the smell!



The next day, he caught this huge fish, dragged it all the way back to the campground, and then found out it was inedible (a carp). It was still alive, so he drove all the way back to the lake and put it back in. He said it swam away!

That's it for now, folks. Have a great holiday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you, we are still here, Trout yummy. See you soon Wiley.


Uncle Ed & T

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see Wiley so happy. I have lots of yard work for my Yardman when he gets home. I hope he is still smiling.
MOM

Joyce and Wiley said...

Wiley's still smiling--Wilbert (our boss) gave him some salmon he caught. I've been in Ypsilanti for a visit with my grands. Had a great time. It's about a 4-hour trip, but there's road construction all along one section of the route, so we need to add an hour to that just in case they're stopping traffic. Wiley's looking forward to his upcoming visit to Winter Park! (He covered for me this week while I was gone, and I'll cover for him while he's gone.)

Julie said...

Well, I'm back but suffering from jet lag. We flew 24 hours with the last leg across the states being interminable. However, we made it safe and sound.

I tried several times to comment on your blogs, Joyce, but technical problems caused the comments to be lost.

I sat down, opened your latest blog, saw a photo with piles of firewood and thought to myself -- good grief. The blog photos have come down to a barely visible bird on a pile of wood! Moving right along, however, the photos got much better, especially Wiley and his fish. I enjoyed that "tall tales" sign over the fish room door, especially with Wiley standing beneath the sign. Hm-m-m. You sure that was a 15-inch fish you ate, Wiley??? How can you not like fish, Joyce? My mouth watered just reading about eating fish.

My favorite photo in this group was the black squirrel photo -- forget the squirrel, though. When you enlarge the photo, the different color greens (esp. the green-yellow background trees) in the photo make it a quite beautiful scenic view.

I guess I'm not used to spring being so late where you are. I noticed what I think are red tulips and forsythia?? around that house with the cute birdhouse in the front lawn area. Is that a birdhouse for martins?

Enjoyed being back with you and your blog. I'm glad you are enjoying your third "new home."

Joyce and Wiley said...

Welcome back, Julie! We've all missed your insightful comments. We're having a real heat wave here now--all the way up to the lower 80's! Still cold enough at night for a light blanket, though.

I'll wait a couple of days to let you recover from your jet lag and then I'll give you a call. Get some rest!

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK JULIE!

WE all missed you and your wonderful comments.

Anonymous said...

Julie, glad you are back home safe and sound, You comments add a lot to the blog.
Mag

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!