10/27/07 (Saturday): We're in California! Tonight is our last night on the road. Tomorrow we'll be in our new home. We're in Indio (click this link to the map). We've come 2,185 miles so far. When I blog next time, I'll post the spreadsheet tracking our gas and other expenses.







We started the day at a little cafe in Rock Springs, Arizona (population about 35). Wiley ordered 3 pancakes. The waitress suggested that 1 would be plenty, but he opted for 2. Get a load of these pancakes! He couldn't even finish one!









It was a pretty uninteresting trip through yet more desert. This sign caught our eye! If you'd like more information, I happened on this website. Check out Wiley's Well -- it's pretty interesting.









As we got closer to California, the smoke from the wildfires became visible (and we could smell it). The further west we got, the grayer the skies got. The ground looked different in this part of the desert, too. It wasn't so rocky and there were fewer plants.








We also saw a convoy of Service Master trucks (a disaster clean-up company), and this busload of firefighters heading west.











We only made one stop (other than the usual pit stops) at Joshua Tree National Park. The park is famous for Joshua Trees, but we were in the Southeast end, and the Joshua trees grow in the Northwest part of the park. We took a nice, short hike to an oasis, though, and we plan to go back to see the Joshua trees. These are cottonwood trees, which grow down in a canyon where there is an oasis by a year-round creek.




The skies were just gorgeous. It was so wonderful to see clouds again!











They're actually calling for showers tonight, which should help with the wildfires.












Also in the oasis were these absolutely huge California Fan Palms. Impressive!

















This is not my picture--it's a picture of a Joshua Tree on a poster in the visitor center. They're pretty interesting plants, and I look forward to seeing them.















That's it for tonight. We want to get an early start tomorrow.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Gorgeous, wonderful, thick, billowy clouds. I love 'em! Thank goodness western Arizona and eastern California appear to have an abundance of them.

Were the pancakes good, Wiley? To me, they don't look that appetizing. Let me tell you, I'd be afraid to order French Toast at that place!

Read the Wiley's Well (Wiley Wells/Wileys Well) info. Very interesting. I never knew there ever was an issue when creating maps whether to use the apostrophe or not. It apparently continues to be a place where geodes can be found. Don't you wonder how on earth Germans know about Wiley's Well!

In Joshua Tree National Park, at the oasis, did you notice the letter "M" either carved or written on a rock (right side of your photo)? Just keeping you on your toes, Ed!

In the photo of the California Fan Palms, the sky appears to be turquoise blue -- is it just the way the picture came out or could you tell that the sky was that blue? The photo is beautiful.

Joyce, when I was in Indonesia and my daughter and I had such problems with setting up and maintaining our blog, I can't even begin to imagine what stamina you must have to do a blog after driving and sightseeing every day! You have to upload photos in addition to writing about them. I just don't think many of us could do that. When traveling, I usually can't wait to find a motel, eat dinner, shower and sack out. It's really wonderful of you to do this and makes our days more exciting to travel "with" you. Thank you very much.

Joyce and Wiley said...

I sure hope the clouds aren't just because of the smoke! At least we'll be on a lake.

Wiley said the pancakes were great. He wanted to take the leftover one home, but we couldn't find a container for it!

We've passed a number of places where letters are carved (or laid out in contrasting stones) on the hillsides. Usually, it was the first letter of the town. I'll have to look at the picture again.

My camera is set for "intense color" (something I just discovered). So, although the sky was very blue, I think the turquoise is a tad more intense than how it actually looked.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog. When are you going to come for a visit--I need more fodder for the blog mill!

Anonymous said...

To all our blogger friends. I just spoke to Wiley and Joyce, it was about seven PM our time on Sunday. Thet arrived safe and sound PTL.They were off to buy groceries. Joyce said we may not hear from them for a few days, until she can get on the internet.

Anonymous said...

Those pancakes are great! I always say Aunt Mag makes the best pancakes so if he said they were good they must really be. I had to pull out my U2 album "Joshua Tree" to see if it looked the same as your picture and yes :)

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!