10/18/07 (Thursday): I hardly know where to begin this blog. Today we went to Petroglyph National Monument. We've come so far, experienced so many different things, and still I can honestly say that we've had another fantastic day. I always knew we lived in a wonderful, diverse country, but I'm still flabbergasted by all our new adventures.






I'm going to break with tradition, and not try to explain these petroglyph pictures. I'll just give some history of the park and leave it up to you--what do you see?


A petroglyph is a picture or symbol carved into a rock (as opposed to a pictograph, which is painted). The petroglyphs we saw were mostly carved into basalt boulders that faced west or south on West Mesa, about 25 miles northwest of Albuquerque.



The escarpment where the petroglyphs are located is 17 miles long. It was formed by a series of volcanic eruptions about 150,000 years ago. The first two eruptions caused large flows of liquid lava, which followed the courses of ancient arroyos. Subsequent eruptions created cinder cone peaks.


Later, tributaries of the Rio Grande eroded the sand beneath the basalt caprock, and huge pieces were strewn along the face of the escarpment. After the boulders are exposed for many years, they develop a black "skin." The petroglyphs pierce this skin and reveal the white or gray coloration of the rock below. They're carved with stone tools.


There are over 20,000 petroglyphs, dating back hundreds of years and were mostly carved by the Pueblo people, although some were carved by Spanish shepherds. They include animals, insects and geometric forms. A quote I saw by a Pueblo elder sums up what I felt: "Each of these rocks is alive, keeper of a message left by the ancestors. . . . There are spirits, guardians; there is medicine. . . ." William F. Weahkee, Pueblo Editor.


The Park Service is not certain what all of the petroglyph images represent, and, in fact, says that sometimes "it is . . . not appropriate to reveal meanings of some images. American Indian tribes have different versions of meanings. For them, any one image may have complex or multiple meanings that depend upon the placement of the images." Whatever that means! Anyhow, most of the interpretive signs didn't even attempt to explain the images, which is kind of a shame, because it was really hard to tell what some of them were.


There are some simple crosses on some of the rocks. Historians believe these simple forms were Native American symbols of north, south, east and west. The more complex cross figures were carved by Spanish sheep herders and are Christian symbols. Another good sign explained that the petroglyphs that were "filled in" were older than the outline figures. They were carved by Archic Indians as long ago as 1,000 B.C.


Some of the later petroglyphs included plants, seeds and agricultural icons, because the Pueblo Indians were involved with agriculture, unlike the Archaic Indians, who were hunter/gatherers.


















We hiked three trails in the Boca Negra Canyon portion of West Mesa, and then we drove to another part of the park where there are trails up the cones of 3 extinct volcanoes.












Wiley didn't find the petroglyphys nearly as interesting as I did, but he enjoyed the volcano hike a lot. Can you see him on the very top of the volcano, looking like he's about to fly off?!













The whipped cream and cherry on top of our super day was spotting this ladder-backed woodpecker and having a roadrunner run right up to our truck and peer up at us. It's the first time we've seen either of these birds.












Just one more adventure in the continuing saga of Joyce and Wiley's great adventure!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I kept wondering what those things were coming out of the heads but I saw you labeled one of your photos as face and headdress so I got my answer. I can't even guess what the petroglyphs mean. Maybe they were just "drawing" in some of the pictures, similar to our artists' paintings today? Imagine our future generations trying to interpret our modern art.

I was fascinated also by that hard porous rock. John and I had the privilege of climbing up to peer into an active volcano in Java. I remember all that gray rock over which we climbed. I didn't know the story of how it got its color. Interesting.

The Archic Indians from 1000 B.C. impressed me now. We are studying Jeremiah, a prophet in the Bible, who prophesied from 626 to 580 B.C. That really put this date in perspective. Wow.

I know seeing the roadrunner and woodpecker, as well as the mule deer and turkeys earlier, must have been exciting.

You really opened the door, Joyce, by not identifying the petroglyphs and leaving them up to us to interpret what we see. I'm waiting for someone to "see" a certain animal!

Anonymous said...

I'm learing more on your blog about US History than I ever learned in school. You and Julie need to open a private school, when you finish traveling.All this material needs to be share. I see a big article in today Sentinel, many children are going to school at home using the internet. We have two Lurkers in the familly. Wiley Sr and Dave sat near by when I was on the computer, looking at the blog and I read it to them. They were making comments and enjoying it. I asked if they wanted to share any thoughts with Joyce? They about ran away. Keep up the good work many are learing from your experence.
Happy Trails Mom-Mag

Joyce and Wiley said...

I'm with you, Mag--this is certainly the way to learn history. If I weren't so tired, I'd blog about our experience today at Chaco Canyon. But I'm pooped, so you'll have to hold your breath. We feel so privileged to have the opportunity to explore our country this way. Sometimes I feel like I'm so disconnected from everything familiar that it's almost frightening. I can't even imagine how the pioneers did this!

We've run iinto a number of families who are home schooling their children and traveling in their RVs. In fact, there was a family at Petroglyph National Memorial.

Julie, I wondered the same thing about some of the petroglyphs. In fact, the thought occurred to me that it might be ancient graffiti. The boulders were very tempting--I just wanted to reach out and scratch at them a little to see what happened!

I'm happy to have an audience for my meanderings--as long as some of you respond so that I know you're there, all viewers are welcome.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!