1/14/07 (Monday): I apologize for the long delay in blogging. We weathered the storms and the move to the new campsite, but we still don't have our phone hooked up. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow. Without a phone, I have no internet connection. I'm using the computer in the ranger office now. I won't be able to post any pictures, but I'll bring you up to date.

We survived the storms quite well. We moved the RV to a nearby campsite that didn't flood. We like it almost as much as the first one. It gets a lot more sun, which is nice on the cold mornings here, and it doesn't have another campsite right beside it like the last one did, but it doesn't have quite as many trees.

The new company that's taking over management of the campground (Recreation Resource Management, or RRM for short) has hired me, but they probably won't be hiring Wiley. Wiley's okay with that because it's only for a few more months. They need me to do some office work and they don't have anything for Wiley right now. The really good news is that I'll be getting paid for all hours worked (about 18-20 per week), and we still don't have to pay for the campsite. So we'll be making a little money to pay for our trip home in the Spring! We're so glad that we not only get to stay here (we really love it), but we're also going to bring in a little income.

We've had a couple of fun outings recently, but I'll wait and blog about that when I can post the pictures.

Wiley heads for Orlando tomorrow morning and will be there until Sunday. I'll put in some extra hours working while he's gone. We've got a lot to do setting up new office space. So once again, life is good and getting better all the time! Take care, and I'll blog again soon.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Joyce, just wait until RRM gets a taste of your office skills -- you're liable to be there for another year.

How long ago it seems (1969, actually) when you were hired by a very large, prestigious law firm in D.C. on an experimental basis to handle work overflow from the day shift and have it completed for the following morning. Shortly thereafter I joined you, at first on a temporary basis, and between the two of us we created a very active shift of evening legal secretaries, proofreaders and word processors. They didn't know it at that time but they had hired two top-notch legal secretaries/managers. [Smile] That shift became especially important when the attorneys discovered certain documents could be filed in some courts by midnight. Eventually, the evening shift became responsible for meeting filing deadlines every night of the week.

Just imagine. Over thirty-five years has passed and we can still act as if no time has passed between us. What made that job so great was that we worked so well together -- why we even transcribed each other's shorthand! Remember that? I look back with great fondness on those days and also look forward to lots more fun times together!

Can't wait till you are up and running full speed ahead again.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Gosh, you bring back a lot of great memories for me! Do you remember all the telex and fax messages for the White House that came to our firm in error? Remember the boring transcription work during Watergate?

I had forgotten that we could read each other's shorthand! For the uninitiated, that's really unusual.

I started working for the new managers today--I inventoried some office supplies and typed some emails. So far, it's very enjoyable--no pressure at all! But I don't think I want to stay here through the 115 degree summers with the huge crowds!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!