I JUST ADDED A LINK TO A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE, SO IF YOU'VE ALREADY READ THIS BLOG, CHECK OUT THE SECOND PARAGRAPH FOR A LINK TO A VENTURA STAR ARTICLE ABOUT WILEY.

1/31/08 (Wednesday):
We've had a great week. I've been working hard setting up the office (again) in the manager's absence. We went out together and bought duplicates of all the supplies that were stolen. Then they left, and I got busy. Linda, my fellow Workamper and friend, has been helping me. We had to put together packets for all the new employees, put together new shelves and storage units, hand out tee shirts, set up the phone system, and organize files. So I've had a busy week, but it's been fun.

While I've worked, Wiley has taken advantage of the alone time to work on his garden and make a day trip to the Ventura Pier for a little crabbing. He caught 15 really large crabs and one lobster! The manager (Nita) and I had worked late in the office, so we decided to let the guys cook. The two other Workamper couples each made a side dish, I tossed a salad, and we all squeezed into our RV and had a feast! One of the guys doesn't eat seafood (and neither do I), so I also grilled some sausage with spinach and fontina cheese. It was a great, relaxing evening. It turns out a photographer from the Ventura newspaper took a picture of Wiley's crabs (and the hand that was holding them). It made today's paper. Here's a link to the story: Ventura Star article.

Julie asked me to pass on a little information about Piru, the closest town to where we live. Here's a link to a very informative website that you might like to visit: Piru, CA. There are about 1200 residents, mostly Hispanic, and although they live in modest houses, many of them are members of very wealthy ranching families. There's a very good restaurant, a Post Office, two convenience stores and a couple of liquor stores. The school appears almost new, there's a nice little park/playground, several churches and a mission school.

Today I finished up at the office around noon and we decided to take a hike. Val Verde is a little town about 10 miles east of us. We hike the fire road up two different mountains. (This is the view of the road we hiked from the top of the mountain.)









There was a 365 degree view from the top, including a view of the snow-covered mountains along the I-5 corridor (called the "Grapevine") and Mt. Frasier, where there are a number of ski resorts.









There were a few scattered wild flowers.













I hear it's really gorgeous in the Spring when the poppies bloom.












As we descended back into the little park where the trail begins, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a bobcat! It's the first one I've ever seen! He froze just long enough for me to get this shot. It's not the best picture, but it's pretty clearly a bobcat!

I was downloading a nice video taken from the very top of the trail, but with my dial-up connection, it timed out. Sorry I can't share it with you--it was a great hike!

13 comments:

Julie said...

Weren't you afraid the bobcat would head towards you instead of running away?

I checked out the newspaper article and I loved Wiley's shadow in the second photo. Even though he has his back to us, it looks like he continues to walk more upright. Great going, Wiley.

I loved the two mountain shots. They still look moss-covered to me. I've got to save the one from the top of the mountain showing the snow covered peaks. Fantastic shot. In the photos of the flowers, it looks like the "dirt" is more like dark sand. Is it?

I've still got to look at the Piru site. Now, risking a comment from your Uncle Ed, I really want to ask you, Joyce, in one of your mountain photos, if you look to the left, bottom side, doesn't those light brown twigs look like some type of ancient writing or drawings? No further comment!

Julie said...

By the way, the "ancient writing" is in the snow-capped photo and you have to enlarge the photo to really see it!!!

I enjoyed reading the Piru town site and found some interesting things. Have you eaten yet at the U Scream Ice Cream place? Got a good laugh out of that name. Also, the area transit company is called FATCO. What an anacronym in this day and age. There is also a Bennett's Honey Farm in Piru. That sounds interesting if you've never been to such a place. They do give tours. I thought the demographics interesting: males - 597; females 599. The average age is 28 years old, average income is $41,000 and average home cost is $179,000. Thanks for the reference, Joyce. I enjoyed it very much.

Joyce and Wiley said...

The bobcat was obviously running away from us, and it was quite a long distance from us (I used my zoom lens).

Wiley's back would be even straighter if he'd remember to do his physical therapy more. But he is looking better.

The flowers were growing in the mud, some of which is clay-ey and some of which is almost sandy. The mountains are mostly rock (and nothing grows on them, not even grass) with pockets of dirth that supports some grass and brush.

I don't see the "ancient writing" that you see, but there sure was a gorgeous view from the top of that mountain!

Piru is a great little town, and yes, we have eaten at the U Scream Ice Cream shop. It's quite good. We haven't been to the honey farm, but it's right around the corner from us, and it's one of the things we wanted to do when you came. They actually have honey tastings!

Julie said...

I just viewed the fire road that you hiked -- how long was the hike? Were you two solely alone on that road? It looks like it could be hot hiking that road - was it?

Joyce and Wiley said...

I guess we hiked a total of about 3 miles--most of it straight up. it's been pretty cool here, especially in the mountains. So we didn't get hot--in fact we wore our sweatshirts most of the way. Great hiking weather!

Where are all my readers?! No one has commented lately except Julie!

Anonymous said...

Joyce, Is Troy's massage in your comments? Kay Hager & Troy Hager

Anonymous said...

I do hope that my comments will get through to you now. So many months they have been kicked back. I take it personally. Computers came late in my life. I've always suspicioned they despised me. Petting that wildcat would be more in my mode.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Comments from Troy and Kay--wow! You've made my day!

Turtle Class said...

Cool Newspaper article! I love the mountains w/the snow caps they are just breathtaking :)

Julie said...

Hey, Joyce, just how busy are you working for your new employers? Your last blog was January 31st! More! More! More!

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy your blogs right on. We are so fortunate having you report from far flung venues. You can make a hill of plain dirt sound attractive. I do wonder about something - the condors. You were eager to get to this assignment to be near the condors. You did such a job logging the eagles here in Florida. The days are swiftly dwindling. Love ya, Mean it Troy

Joyce and Wiley said...

Okay, okay--I just posted a new one. I really was VERY busy, though! It's so nice to hear from Troy! And your comment about the condors was very timely, Troy, as you'll see when you read the new blog!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting in trouble, for not commenting on the blog. I'm afaird after reading about your exciting road trips you'lll never be able to come back to Florida. Maybe this is where you can write your book, under a shade tree.
To all of the blog readers..... today is Joyce's birthday. How old I'll never tell.I'm already in trouble. LOL

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!