1/18/08 (Friday): Well, I've had a busy and exciting week. Wiley is visiting his family back in Florida, and I started my new job responsibilities here in Piru. I'm having a blast! The people I'm working with are super. They're from the Gulfport, Mississippi area, where they lost a lovely home to Hurricane Katrina. She also almost lost her life in a narrow escape from a hotel that lost its roof. She saw some horrible things--almost unimaginable. They've turned their lives around, though, and seem to be really enjoying the Workamper lifestyle. I had dinner with them two nights ago and today she invited me and the other Workamper to go shopping and out to lunch with her. We had a great time choosing new items for the office and enjoyed a great Chinese meal. So far, I've cleaned bathrooms, washed uniforms, typed emails, set up office supplies and files and cleaned the gatehouse! Until we're all set up and all the camp hosts arrive (there will be five more couples for a total of seven), we're all pitching in and doing a little of everything. Tomorrow I'll be setting up the new computers in the gatehouse. They've brought in a trailer to serve as a temporary office while they renovate one of the big buildings to be the permanent office. They're also going to make some renovations to the marina and re-open the defunct restaurant as a camp store. They're bringing in 10 boats--five pontoon boats and 5 fishing boats--which the camp hosts will be able to use, too. I know Wiley will enjoy getting out onto the lake where the fishing is better!

We woke up on 1/7 to a beautiful, clear, not-too-cold day. I was surprised to see that the moutain peaks all around us had a lovely sprinkle of white on them! This is the view from the campground looking west, but all the peaks were covered. It had all melted away by the next morning. These peaks are only about 1100 feet.





As I mentioned in an earlier blog, a lot of commercials and TV shows are filmed here at Lake Piru Recreation Area. Just before Wiley left, we saw this filming of a Chevrolet commercial. We couldn't see much of the action, just the cameraman and the support vehicles (for costumes, food and restrooms). Then last week, they came to film a Mountain Dew commercial, and I got invited to join the crew for lunch. I asked if my co-Workampers could come, too, and they said "sure"! We had a great al fresco lunch of barbecue chicken, sea bass and steak with four kinds of salad, fresh fruit and a yummy almond cake. What fun! Later, the producer found me in the campground and asked if one of the actors could use the showers in the campground, because he'd gotten very muddy. We, of course, allowed him to do that. The next morning, the floor and one shower were absolutely covered with mud! I didn't mind cleaning up after them, though, because they'd given us such a nice treat.

Now I want to back up a little and show you some pictures from the weekend before Wiley left. We went to Long Beach on Saturday and to Malibu on Sunday. We took the train from Santa Clarita (about 20 miles from here) to Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. Then we took the Metro all the way to Long Beach at the south end of Los Angeles. Our main stop was the Aquarium of the Pacific, which is a really cool place. In addition to all the fish, they have seals and birds. I took a bunch of pictures, but I'll just post this one shot.


On Sunday, we hopped on the Pacific Coast Highway and went to Malibu. We had previously driven north of the Pacific Coast highway, but this piece of the highway goes south. The waves were pretty impressive!





We made a brief stop at Point Mugu, where there's an Air Force base. I thought the light was pretty spectacular.

We fished and crabbed off the Malibu pier.



There were a bunch of kids enjoying the day outdoors. Some of them had a good time helping us pull up the crab traps. The dad of a couple of the kids was very good looking and had a French accent. We chatted a bit with him, and it turns out he was filming a segment of Sex in the City. I'm not sure whether he was an actor or how he was involved in the production.

Back here in Piru Canyon, spring has sprung. The hills are starting to green up. It's very pretty, but it keeps reminding me of those cheap celluloid toys with the sprayed on hair (except the "hair" is green)!


Okay--that's all the news from here. Catch you later!

7 comments:

Joyce and Wiley said...

Isn't that the strangest thing at Point Mugu?! There's one like it at Moro Point, and there were several places in Maine like that. It's like a huge, smooth boulder plunked down in the ocean. I don't know if it's worn down mountains or glacial, or what. It sure looks cool when the waves crash against it, though!

Julie said...

More beautiful photos. Lovely shot of your view from the campground. The cattle in the filming photo reminded me of our drive home via Route 441 from Gainesville today. We saw field after field of horses, cattle and even a field of goats. It was a very beautiful drive back to Ocala.

I, too, like Tom, was curious about the unusual formation in the one photo so I did a bit of research on Point Mugu. That promonotory, Mugu Rock, was formed when a path for the Pacific Coast Highway was cut through the mountain, thus forming the massive features. Mugu beach is believed to be the site where Juan Cabrillo landed in 1542. “Muwu” was the capital village of the Chumash Indians (you wrote about them in one of your earlier blogs) located along the shore of the Mugu Lagoon. The name “Muwu” means beach. Most of its early history centers around ranching, farming and the famous Mugu fish camp. No mention was made how the name changed from Muwu to Mugu.

What an exciting week you had. I’ve got to sign off now as three counties in Florida are under a tornado watch. Fortunately for us, Marion County is not one of them but we are having a terrific thunderstorm at the present time. Until your next blog, have another fantastic week.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Thanks for the great history of Mugu Point, Julie! I usually research the stuff that we see, but I ran out of time doing that blog. I ought to name you guest blogger and get you to post the occasional blog!

Julie said...

Things are just fine the way they are. Thanks anyway for the suggestion. I figured you had such a slow Internet service that it would be much easier for me to do that bit of research. I think it turned out to be quite interesting. Br-r-r-r, it's cold here tonight. Predicted to be thirty-three degrees by morning.

Joyce and Wiley said...

I'm serious, Julie. Everyone enjoys your comments so much. I'd love to have you be a guest blogger! I'll call you--be thinking of a topic. Personally, I'd love to see some of your Indonesian pics and hear a little about your recent trip.

Turtle Class said...

It just looks so different than any beach I have ever been to. Pretty cool about the commercials. I love the starfish picture.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!