1/28/08 (Monday): It's been an exciting (and very wet) couple of days here in Piru. I finally finished setting up the temporary office night before last. Yesterday morning I went over to the office early to put the finishing touches on setting up the fax machine. I walked in, sat down to face the computer ... and there was no computer there! I didn't panic. I figured the managers had taken it out for some reason. But when I called them, they hadn't. We'd been robbed. I spent the morning talking to the sheriff and trying to figure out what was missing. Fortunately, I'd done an inventory (with prices and serial numbers) of everything purchased for the office. We lost the computer, flat panel monitor, keyboard, mouse, surge protector, all-in-one fax/copier/printer/scanner, and all our new office supplies. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,000 to $5,000, not to mention all the work that will have to be re-done. This is a heartbreaking introduction to California for our new managers. Plus, both their little dogs are very ill and had to go to the vet. The company is responding very quickly, sending us a new computer with everything loaded on it and they're hiring security guards for overnight hours.

The rest of this blog is kind of a mish-mash of things that have happened lately. This picture is for Julie, who commented recently that she didn't know I knew how to crochet. My grandson's requested sweaters and hats for their stuffed animals. I designed and made these for them. They were quite pleased to get them!





Remember the picture in a blog a couple of days ago about the commercial being filmed in our campground? Well here's a shot of the same area. Look at the snow in the background! The higher elevations have had several FEET of snow in the last week! I-5 (our closest highway) was closed off and on last week because of snow, ice and high winds. There's still snow on the higher peaks. It seems so funny to stand in the spring-green meadows in a sweatshirt and look at snow!

Speaking of green meadows, here's a shot of the town of Piru that I took today. The hills around us have really greened up! The "happy cows" are looking much happier now!

That's it for now. I'm on my own in the office for the next week while the managers take a few (well deserved) days off. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'm duly impressed with your crocheting ability, Joyce; however, the "bear lady in the blue outfit" isn't smiling -- doesn't she like her outfit?? Maybe she wanted pink instead of blue! Well, I think they're adorable, especially their hats.

I haven't yet been to the area of the west where you are currently camped, but I, too, am quite surprised by the brown landscapes. It is so different from what I've imagined my whole life that each time you show that type of photo, it is always unexpected -- even the green mountain in the background of your Piru town shot isn't the full, lush green I expect. It looks more like brown areas covered by green moss or the like. Love those clouds though.

In the photo where the filming was done, if you had not told me, I never would have known it to be the same area. I understand though that the desert and the barren areas really "green up" in spring and summer. I can't wait to see more photos.

Joyce and Wiley said...

If anyone wants to visit, March would probably be the best month. It's getting much greener, and everyone tells me that once we get our winter rains, it's lovely!

Julie said...

I think it's sad that security guards have to be hired. Can you tell us a bit more about the people who live in the Piru area? What type of work would they do? Where would they work? Just how deserted is your camping area and Piru? From what I recall of your photos, some farming, cattle, olive groves. Have you been able to see any vineyards during your excursions to the north?

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!