7/11/06 (Tuesday): The Dykes clan left yesterday morning. We didn't see them off because they left early to go by Freeport and shop at LL Bean and we had to go to work. We had a wonderful visit. It was great to spend time with our famiy again, and I think everyone got to do what they wanted.

We finished up our work week today. We haven't decided yet what we're going to do on our days off. We bought a little screen room just big enough for two. It doesn't need any poles or anything--just pops up all by itself. It's really nice to have a place to sit outside without being bothered by the bugs. We got it at Job Lots (similar to Big Lots) for just $30. It'll also be nice to take with us when we go tent camping.

Monkey has a couple of new tricks. She's decided that one of our cabinet doors should never be closed, so she opens it for us whenever we close it. First she sits and stares at it very intently, making a low growling sound. Then she flips it open with her paw, examines her work, and goes back to whatever she was doing. She doesn't try to get in the cabinet, she just wants the door open. Guess we're going to have to buy a child proof lock! She also likes the new screen room. We put a tarp down on the ground under it so that she can't get to the grass and nibble it (when she eats grass she pukes it up on the carpet). Her other new trick is chasing any bugs that get into the camper. She'll stand up on her hind legs in the middle of the floor and swat at a fly! What a hoot--she's 20 years old! That's 99 in people years!!

Work is going very well. I'm enjoying meeting all the campers and telling them about the fun things to do in the area. I have some $4 off coupons for a schooner cruise that also earn me a small commission. I've handed out quite a few of them so far. We also get to take a free cruise on the schooner. We'll probably do that tomorrow or Thursday.

I printed out some of my photos and put them on a piece of foam board and hung it in the living room. I'm enjoying my new collage. Here are some photos that I haven't posted that I thought you'd like to see.


This is my newest shot of my granddaughters, Anna and Margo. Anna is starting to look more and more like me (for better or worse)!












This is us packing up for our great adventure. We put everything in the driveway and weighed it before we loaded it so that we wouldn't put more weight in the camper than was safe.










Wiley found a luna moth when we were at Westmoreland State Park (where the Potomac River flows into the Chesapeake Bay) in Maryland.










The street lights at Hershey Park in Pennsylvania are shaped like candy kisses!












We're in New Haven, Connecticut now--even the statues at Yale where hats and ties!












This is a replica of the Mayflower, the ship that brought the Pilgrims to our shores. It's amazingly small!

















Everywhere we've gone along the coast have been fantastic lighthouses. This is one of my favorites -- Portland Head Light, in Portland, ME.










So that was the quick version of our great adventure! Stay with us for the rest of the ride, won't you?!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyce, I had to really laugh when I saw all that stuff in your driveway awaiting weighing. Did you weigh Wiley, too? When I saw your driveway, it reminded me of your beautiful shrubbery, plants and flowers around your house in Orlando. I wish they were around my house instead.

Your granddaughters are really adorable. I think the older one's smile resembles your smile. Not sure if it's the lips, mouth shape or what but she's definitely got a bit of you in her. I don't see it in Anna but then I didn't know you as a baby -- only as a "coworker brat." Ha Ha Only kidding.

So Monkey is enjoying her camping trip. I'll bet you never thought you'd be buying a baby lock again. I've enjoyed all your pictures, that's for sure. Did you and Wiley get to the Museum in Hershey where that clock depicting Christ's birth, life, death and resurrection is located? Maybe it is no longer operable but I'll never forget it. That was almost 50 years ago.

That gorgeous moth was every bit as beautiful as the butterflies we saw in Gainesville at the museum. How did Wiley get it to sit on his hand so easily? At the museum we tried to get the butterflies to sit on our fingers but they just flew away.

I think it would be fun to hear from Wiley's family and their thoughts about staying in Maine to visit with you. What do they recommend we not miss seeing and what could they have done without! Just me being curious.

John and I went to Tampa yesterday and visited the MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry). It was very interesting but I did keep asking myself -- Julia, why did you want to come and see real dead bodies. Sometimes it grossed me out but most of the time it was extremely fascinating. Sorry, this is your blog and I'm getting carried away. Will e-mail you re our trip. Have a nice day on the job. We do miss you here in Florida, though.

Joyce and Wiley said...

Yup--we had to take our weight (and that of everything that went into the truck) into consideration, too. The weight affects braking and wear and tear on the truck and camper, so it's really important. I think the whole weighing operation must have confirmed our neighbor's opinion that we were a crazy couple!

All my baby pictures (of me) are at my in-laws house for safekeeping, or I'd show you some pics of me when I was Anna's age. For me it has to do with the shape of the head and the eyes more than anything else.

We installed the baby locks yesterday, and Monkey spent about 5 minutes trying to open that cabinet before she gave up. She was really determined!

Wiley found the moth in the daytime and it was sleeping. He just transferred it to his finger and it never tried to fly away. After the picture, he transferred it back to the wall where he found it. We've found several up here, too. They have the most beautiful moths in Maine. One of them is white with pink and green.

How about it Mag--feel like interviewing the gang and finding out what they liked best and then posting a response? (You could always do it anonymously, like before!)

The MOSI sounds interesting, but I don't think I'd like it as much as what we're seeing up here. We're looking forward to showing it off to you. Hope you can stay long enough to see everything!

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!