7/29/06 (Saturday): Just a quick post today. I have to go to work at 3 PM. Wiley is off picking blueberries. I just finished some housework, including defrosting the freezer. Ugh--I'd forgotten what a yucky task that is. Most RV freezers are not self defrosting, though, so I guess I'll have to get used to it. I guess I'm going to have to make a blueberry pie or something when Wiley gets back. There are so many wild blueberries in this part of Maine that some of the wildlife preserves open up for blueberry picking, and that's where he is today.

I've been doing a little research about the lobstering industry. My interest was piqued by our recent visit to Shaw's Wharf, where we watched the lobster boats come in. It's definitely the major industry around here, and there's an aura of secrecy about it that intrigues me. Here's an interesting site that covers some of the basics: http://www.gma.org/lobsters/allaboutlobsters/lobsterhistory.html

We went last night to a special fund raising auction at the local Goodwill store. They had a tent we coveted which was being sold in a silent auction. We didn't get it, but we did find an LL Bean carryon bag for $7.99. It's a really nice one, with wheels, handles and even backpack straps. Lots of compartments, too, and in really clean and good shape. I'll get to try it out in a couple of weeks when I go to visit my new granddaughter.

We picked up some peaches at the local market that look misshapen and ugly, but taste absolutely delicious. I don't know if they're local or not. The flavor is like a combination of peach and pear.









Finally, I can't resist posting this photo. Isn't it a shame that Wiley is finding it so hard to adapt to this lifestyle?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wiley definitely looks comfy. We sell those peaches at Publix...they are called Saturn or Donut Peaches...not sure where they are from but could be up there. They are rather expensive here.

Anonymous said...

Wiley lost his Florida tan. Those are white looking legs. I'm sorry he looks so stress.

Joyce and Wiley said...

The peaches weren't expensive here, so maybe they do come from New England. We've seen lots of apple and pear trees.

Yeah, both of us are looking rather white. We get a lot of outside time, but it's been raining a lot, too.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've seen those peaches at Publix but I walked right past them. Maybe we'll try them next time I see them. I remember they just looked so strange!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen peaches that looked like that! How funny - I think I would have been afraid to eat them! :) I wonder if they're a cross?

How many pounds of blueberries did Wiley bring home?

Joyce and Wiley said...

Wiley brought home about 2 quarts of blueberries. His Mom gave me her recipe for a blueberry pie (with cream cheese). I made it up with low fat cream cheese and Egg Beaters instead of eggs. It turned out really yummy, plus we don't have to feel TOO guilty when we eat it.

It's COLD up here! It went down in the 50's last night and the highs for the rest of the week are supposed to be in the 70's! We're loving it!

Anonymous said...

I've really been enjoying the blog! Thanks for the link to the lobstering info, I've been curious about that too.

Joyce and Wiley

Joyce and Wiley
Our Home on Wheels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We took early retirement from careers as Executive Assistant (Joyce) and Lawn Care company owner (Wiley). We have been full-time RV'rs since March, 2006. We've taken our RV to Maine, Michigan, California, North Carolina and everything in between. We live in Florida in the winters and travel in the summers. It's a tough life, but someone has to live it!